If you are unable to pay privately for your legal representation you may be eligible for criminal legal aid. It depends on what assets you have and how much money you have left over when your weekly expenses are paid. You cannot choose your own lawyer for criminal offending which carries a term of under 10 years. With more serious offences, you are entitled to put on the legal aid form your lawyer of choice.