Experienced Criminal Defence Lawyer


(09) 378 4101

  • A barrister is a lawyer who appears for clients in Court but does not have a Trust Account. A trust account is where your money goes until the case has been finalised. You cannot pay fees directly to a barrister who must have an instructing solicitor.

  • An instructing solicitor is a barrister and solicitor who will refer you to a barrister and will tell you the barrister’s fee. He is responsible to the barrister for the fee and you will pay the fee into the instructing solicitor’s trust account.

    You will be given a Law Society Trust Account receipt for that money.

  • A barrister & solicitor is a lawyer who also appears in Court but holds a trust account. You are able to pay your fees directly to the Barrister and Solicitor who will give you a receipt for your money.

  • If you are unable to pay privately for your legal representation you may be eligible for criminal legal aid. It depends on what assets you have and how much money you have left over when your weekly expenses are paid. You cannot choose your own lawyer for criminal offending which carries a term of under 10 years. With more serious offences, you are entitled to put on the legal aid form your lawyer of choice.

  • A Michele Hewitson Interview for New Zealand Herald.

    You see her on the television, or in the papers: a small blonde woman in the centre of media scrums. I’ve never been able to quite place her in the company of those swaggering, high-profile lawyers. I had an odd image in my mind: of her holding her client Chris Kahui’s hand. She certainly put her arm around him, she says, in the midst of a media scrum and that he was terrified and utterly overwhelmed.

Search in Blog